Perihelion Science Fiction

Sam Bellotto Jr.

Eric M. Jones
Contributing Editor


Uses of Nirvana
by Mark Silcox

A Place for Oysters
by Sandy Hiortdahl

by Steven Young

A Switch in Time
by David Steffen

by Richard Wren

Mostly a Question of Molecular Bonds
by Steve Bates

Panic Button
by Seth Chambers

When the Robots Struck
by Eamonn Murphy

John Cochran’s Amazing Flight
by J. Richard Jacobs

by Nina Kiriki Hoffman

Vegan State
by Mark Ayling


Mining Data on UFOs
by Preston Dennett

Trip the Light Fantastic
by John McCormick




Shorter Stories

Comic Strips



Mining Data on UFOs

By Preston Dennett

ONE OF THE GREATEST MYSTERIES surrounding the UFO phenomenon is: why are they here? Most researchers agree that there are probably many reasons. The most popular theory by far is that UFOs are scientists and tourists, here only to study and observe. However, the ET agenda appears to include a wide variety of goals, including abducting humans for genetic material, imparting warnings about the destruction of our environment, hovering over and studying nuclear power stations and other technological installations, collecting samples of flora and fauna ... to name only a few types of UFO activity.

Another reason that has been raised to account for UFOs’ interest in planet Earth is mining. It may seem hard to believe that with their advanced technology, UFOs would need to travel all the way to Earth only to dig for precious metals. On the other hand, perhaps UFOs require rare metals for their craft.

Whatever the explanation, the number of cases involving UFOs and mines speaks for itself. Some of them provide very convincing evidence of UFO reality. Let’s examine these cases and see what they reveal about the UFO occupants and their agenda on Earth.

Belgian-Congo Mines

According to a 1952 CIA document released through the Freedom of Information Act, numerous witnesses observed two “fiery disks” perform incredible maneuvers directly over an active uranium mine located near Elizabethville in the southern part of Belgian-Congo. The objects hovered over the mine for at least fifteen minutes during which they glided in “elegant curves” and “changed their positions many times.”

When it became apparent that the mine was the target of the objects, Commander Pierre of the Elizabethville Airfield decided to take off and pursue the objects in his fighter plane.

He chased them for fifteen minutes, during which time they evaded him by dropping down to about 60 feet above the treetops, and finally speeding away at an estimated velocity of more than 800 miles per hour. According to the CIA report, Pierre was considered a “dependable” witness. No explanation of the incident was included in the report.

Brush Creek Titanium Mine

In 1953, one of the world’s most unusual UFO-mine encounters took place outside a small isolated Northern California town called Brush Creek. Today it remains a classic case in the UFO literature. The entire ordeal revolves around two titanium miners, John Black and John Van Allen, who had a series of encounters while working at their mine.

In early 1953, both Black and Van Allen observed a “metallic saucer” hover above the area of the mine. Over the next few weeks, the object returned on four separate occasions. On April 20, their concern mounted when Black saw the craft again from a distance of a quarter mile. It was obvious to the witnesses that the UFO had a strong interest in their mine.

Exactly one month later, at 6:30 p.m. on May 20, Black was returning to the mine when he saw the now familiar saucer rising up from the sandbar at the junction of Marble and Jordan creeks. The craft quickly took off towards the east and disappeared. On inspecting the area, Black found several small five-inch footprints.

Then exactly one month later again, on June 20, Black approached the junction of the two creeks when he saw what he thought was a small child with a bucket. At that point, he saw the large saucer landed nearby on the sandbar. Black examined the figure which he said appeared to be a small man wearing green pants, unusual shoes, a jacket and a green cap. He was very pale and had black hair. Says Black, “He looked like someone who had never been out in the sun much.”

Black watched as the man scooped up water with an unusual cone-shaped bucket. Black had approached to about 40 feet when the little man heard him and quickly entered a small metallic saucer that was landed on a sandbar. At that point, the craft took off quickly and in total silence, leaving Black amazed.

Somewhat concerned, Black contacted Brush Creek sheriff, Fred Preston. Black jokingly asked the sheriff if it was “open season on space men.” The sheriff, however, remained serious. “I told them they’d better grab it next time so they’ll have something to back up their story.” Preston then told them he couldn’t give them permission to shoot. He did, however, contact the Air Force.

The story was then leaked to the press and so began one of the strangest events in UFO history. Because the saucer had appeared on April 20, May 20 and June 20, everyone was predicting a July 20th landing. More than two hundred people arrived on the scene with cameras waiting. Residents of Brush Creek, newspaper reporters, cameramen and saucer enthusiasts all converged on the scene. Snack bars and chairs were set up as if people were going to watch a circus performance.

Unfortunately it was a total bust. The expected UFO did not arrive and the Brush Creek ordeal came to a sudden close. However, the case has never been solved. The miners were well-respected and their testimony was backed up by Vi Belcher, owner of the local store who said they were “not drinking men.”

The account was investigated in depth by researchers Gray Barker and Paul Spade, both of whom were actually jailed by the Brush Creek sheriff’s station when they tried to conduct a stakeout for the saucer. Both came away convinced of the veracity of the case. Says Barker, “Spade made what I considered an objective investigation and reported that the story was evidently not a hoax. Whatever Black saw, the story sounds almost too good for someone to think up, especially when such a story is credited to an isolated miner who is not likely to be at all well-read on science-fiction.”

Paraburdoo Iron Mine

Located in the Pilbara region of Western Australia (about 950 miles northeast of Perth), Paraburdoo is a small mining town of about 2,500 inhabitants. UFO researcher Ellis Taylor had received several reports of UFO sightings from the area in the past. Then one day he received another report. In this case the witnesses were able to take a series of photos as the object hovered directly over the local Paraburdoo mine.

The encounter occurred at 7:10 p.m. on August 30, 2006. The main witnesses are Rob and Jules, residents of the town. While sitting in their backyard, they and their children observed a “bright light” moving at a leisurely pace above the street at about treetop level. The light was oval-shaped and flashed orange and yellow.

The family watched as the object headed toward Radio Mountain and the Paraburdoo mine. Upon reaching the base of the mountain the object moved sideways, turned bright red and began to ascend up the side. Shortly later it reached the top of the mountain and the location of the mine, where it stopped and hovered.

Realizing that the object was unusual, Rob grabbed his camera and snapped several pictures. Meanwhile Rob’s neighbor Dave and his four children also observed the object. After about ten minutes the object began to rise slowly. It was a clear night and the small group of witnesses was able to watch the UFO until it became a small red dot high in the sky and finally disappeared.

Rob’s neighbor Dave turned to everyone and said, “I think we've just been visited by aliens.”

Unknown to the witnesses, others in Paraburdoo also observed the object. Researcher Ellis Taylor is convinced not only of the sincerity of the witnesses, but that they saw something genuinely unusual. Says Taylor, “They are a tight-knit community, born from their isolation, where get-togethers over a cold beer or ten and a barbie are everyday occurrences. They are good people, honest and down-to-earth. They don't waste their words and if they say they saw something, they did.”

Certainly the witnesses are convinced. Rob and Jules write: “This experience for us was the most awesome thing we have seen in our lives as we do believe we are not alone.”

Gualcamayo Gold Mine

Located in the San Juan Province of Argentina, the Gualcamayo gold mine is an open-pit heap-leach mine. On December 20, 2008, about 20 mine workers were heading back to their shanty for a break when one of them noticed something odd in the sky hovering over the mine area. He alerted his companions, one of who quickly held up his cell-phone and captured a digital image of the object.

Meanwhile back at the mine, an additional 25 workers observed the object overhead. The moment it appeared, a loud, mysterious buzzing noise swept over the site. All machinery unaccountably failed and drilling operations came to a sudden halt.

Moments later both groups of mine workers watched the object dart away. Immediately all the machinery began to work again.

Local newspapers were contacted, and the story appeared in the “Diario de Cuyo de San Juan,” where it was widely circulated, generating various explanations such as “service balloon” or “a garbage bag flying aloft in search of fame.”

Those who observed the object, however, insist that they saw a genuine “ovni” or UFO and point to the strange electromagnetic effects caused by the object, not to mention the photograph.

Pine Bush

Solidifying the UFO-mine connection are events that occurred in the mid-1980s in Pine Bush, upstate New York. Beginning in 1980, researcher Ellen Crystall was searching for a UFO hotspot where she might see UFOs firsthand. When she read a UFO column by Harry Lebelson in “Omni” magazine, she called him up and asked if he knew of any areas of high activity. Lebelson mentioned Pine Bush, and told her about a couple he knew, “Bruce and Wendy” who claimed to be having close-up UFO sightings on a regular basis.

In July of 1980 Crystall and Lebelson drove to Pine Bush to begin a firsthand field investigation. They soon learned that activity in the area had been fairly regular since at least 1969, and had been reported by a wide variety of Pine Bush and nearby Crawford residents, including a policeman, a barber, store clerks, laborers and others (also famed abductee and author of “Communion,” Whitley Strieber, whose cabin was located in Crawford). Business owners and downtown employees had allegedly seen UFOs directly over their stores and offices.

Crystall and Lebelson interviewed Bruce and Wendy who had been seeing the craft for several years, including several close-up sightings and landings. They said the craft returned on a nearly nightly basis, and that they could see them practically anytime. They promised to show Crystall and Lebelson where the UFOs were appearing.

It was around 10:00 p.m. on July 18, 1980, as Crystall, Lebelson and her new friends drove east on Hill Avenue and parked next to a certain remote farm pasture. Bruce assured her that the UFOs would soon arrive.

To Crystall’s shock the UFOs showed up right on schedule. She and the others observed several strange triangular-shaped craft which moved silently and slowly at about treetop level.

Crystall was amazed and began to trek to the area to see the UFOs again, eventually taking hundreds of pictures of the alleged craft and writing a book, “Silent Invasion,” about her investigations.

At one point Crystall began to wonder why this particular area of upstate New York seemed singled out from other areas to have so much activity. Why were the UFOs continually landing and rising up from these fields? What could they be doing and why here?

She had already interviewed many local residents who told her that they believed the aliens were mining the area. During the summer of 1985 Crystall not only continued to see multitudes of ships hovering in the skies of Pine Bush, she also noticed another strange phenomenon. On numerous occasions she and other witnesses observed what appeared to be “arc lights” coming from the ground itself. Each time they approached the areas, the lights would stop.

On another occasion, Crystall was in a field with two other people when a strong blast of warm air came from below, through the ground. She located additional residents who heard drilling noises at night and found evidence of strange digging on their property.

Using all this information she did some research and discovered an amazing fact: Orange County in New York (which includes Pine Bush) is one of the few locations on Earth to find several rare metals including beryllium, zirconium and titanium. Interestingly, all three ores are used in nuclear engineering. Crystall speculated that the UFOs were not only mining these metals, but were constructing underground bases.

During this time, one of the biggest UFO waves in U.S. history was sweeping across the Hudson Valley area of New York. Low flying triangular-shaped craft flying low over homes and highways were generating thousands of reports, inundating police stations in several counties with calls. The Pine Bush phenomenon had gone state-wide.

The reports caught the attention of researcher Philip Imbrogno who became the premier documenter of the wave, eventually co-writing a book, “The Hudson Valley UFOs,” and other follow-up books. As he began to catalogue the sightings, he, like Crystall, wondered why this area was experiencing such high levels of activity.

Looking for patterns, he quickly noticed what appeared to be a higher number of sightings over the areas known for mining. At one point during his investigation, he was contacted by a man who claimed to be a CIA agent. The agent told them that the aliens have, in fact, established several underground bases in the area, including Orange, Putnam and Ulster Counties.

Also consider the following letter which was published in July 1984 in the “New York Post”: “Why are people seeing all these UFOs all of a sudden in the Hudson River Valley area? The answer is simple: there seems to be some kind of underground activity in the Brewster area in the old abandoned iron ore mines. Some years ago the government went out of its way to purchase the land that the mines are located on and people who live in the area, including myself, have seen military vehicles entering the dirt roads. They never come out.”

The writer goes on to describe UFO sightings, helicopter encounters, hearing strange noises at night and more. He speculates that the government or the aliens have “established an underground base in which some type of experimental aircraft is being kept.”

Learning of this information, Imbrogno confirmed that in 1967 the government did, in fact, purchase property around the mines in Brewster and nearby Putnam Valley and Lake Carmel. Regarding the Pine Bush area, Imbrogno has come to the same conclusions as Crystall that aliens are both mining rare metals and building underground bases.

Spring Creek Mine

Located in Spring Creek Ridge in the Sellway wilderness outside of Twin Falls, Idaho, the Spring Creek Mine became the target of a bizarre UFO-mine encounter.

The case was investigated by pioneering researchers Coral and Jim Lorenzen. The witness, Buzz Montague, had read one of their books and after experiencing his encounter contacted them to report his case.

Montague often hunted in the area of the Spring Creek Mines and had observed strange activity there on multiple occasions throughout the 1960s. The incident that prompted him to write to the Lorenzens occurred in the company of his friend William Andrews sometime in 1965 (exact date not given).

The two men were camped on a bluff overlooking the valley where the mine was located. Waking early in the morning, they saw a strange silver object low in the sky over the ore dump where all the waste matter from the ine was deposited. Observing it through the ten-power scopes attached to their rifles, they realized it was only one of four objects, each of which hovered directly over the ore dump. Above these four was a larger cigar-shaped craft complete with portholes. All were totally silent.

According to the report on the case: “Protruding from the top of the objects were four hose-like devices which were inserted into the slag piles and were moving around. After a period of time, one by one, the objects elevated and ascended into the air; at this time, the large object hovering at about 1,000 feet above the terrain, was spotted. An elongated, cigar-shaped object, it had four depressions on its underside. When the small objects reached the object, they fitted themselves into the depressions after which there was no indication that there had been a depression there to begin with. After another short period of time, the objects detached themselves from the cigar-shaped craft and returned to the slag heap.”

The two men watched the objects for more than an hour as they made no less than four trips from the slag-heap back up to the larger cigar-shaped craft. Finally, all four craft returned to the large one, which moved to the northwest, upward and out of sight.

What makes this case interesting is that the UFOs were studying discarded material from which all useful ores had been extracted. If ETs were truly intent on mining, then why exhibit so much interest in slag heaps? Researchers have raisedufo pix the possibility that they might have been attempting to determine the type of ore which had been removed, or the methods used.

[Right, UFO hovering over Topanga Canyon State Park, in Southern California. This area is known to have an abnormally high content of quartz. Photo courtesy Steve Thomson, UFO Photo Archives.]

French Gulch Gold Mine

For most people, seeing a UFO is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. For others, however, it is a regular part of life. Good examples are Clint and Jane Chapin (pseudonyms) of the small town of French Gulch in Northern California. The Chapins reside in a trailer in a remote area. They make their living from their gold mine located on their property. The French Gulch case is particularly interesting because it involves considerable physical evidence.

The first of several encounters occurred on October 30, 1969, at 10:30 a.m. The Chapins were outside their home when they observed a silvery oval-shaped object the size of a small car landed among the trees. Seconds later, the object lifted up, hovered briefly and then accelerated away.

The Chapins checked the area where the object had landed and found a strange pile of sand and metal. Realizing it might be valuable, the Chapins collected and stored the material in a safe place.

Their next encounter would occur seven years later. On December 27, 1976, at 11:00 a.m., the Chapins (now in their seventies) were driving along the road near their home when they came across a patch of ice. Clint exited the truck and walked ahead to investigate the size of the ice patch. Just around the corner of the road, he observed a car-sized object the shape of half an egg, landed on the road ahead of him. He shouted to his wife to bring the gun.

Jane jumped out of the truck and started to run.

At that moment several things happened. The object took off. Jane reports that she ran into an invisible and impassible barrier, fell to the ground and lost consciousness. Clint reports that his left arm was pinned behind his back and he was thrown to the side of the road where he lost consciousness. Both woke up about fifteen minutes later. Both had urinated in their pants. Both felt sick and cold.

Afterwards, Jane suffered from a strange buzzing noise in her head, deteriorating vision and pains in her arms and legs. Clint also felt unwell, and suffered from chronic pain in his left arm. Doctor’s were unable to diagnose Jane’s condition and called it “old age nervousness.”

The Chapins sought further help and were eventually put in contact with pioneering researcher Jacques Vallee, whose book “UFOs: Challenge to Science” was one of the first to take a scientific look at the subject. Vallee interviewed the witnesses and was able to obtain the mysterious “sand” which the Chapins had collected at the site of one of their encounters.

One year later, the Chapins would experience another bizarre encounter involving medical injuries. It was October 13, 1977. The couple were working at their gold mine when both felt a sudden wave of heat. Both instantly became ill, exhibiting symptoms similar to radiation sickness, including vomiting violently. While they didn’t see any actual object or entity, they both feel that the experience is related to the UFO that had been harassing them around their mine. Following this incident, Clint’s health deteriorated dramatically. He felt constantly weak, experienced heart trouble, and as Jane said, “Clint sweats when sitting on a chair, and at night he turns real red in the face.”

On January 14, 1978, Jane finally encountered the occupant of the UFO that had been harassing her and her husband as they worked on their privately owned gold mine. The encounter occurred inside their trailer when Jane saw a figure suddenly appear. According to investigator Jacques Vallee, “The head was flat, with large eyes and a big nose.”

One month later, in August, another witness corroborated the Chapin’s story. An anonymous 12-year-old boy, the son of a local doctor, observed an “unusual humanoid creature” near the area of the mine. The boy was reportedly “deeply upset” by the encounter.

A few months later on April 4, 1980, the Chapins would have their final and most dramatic encounter. Now in their mid-eighties, they were examining a road that had been cut through their property. Says Jane Chapin, “We turned to go down the road, and there was a skinny thing in the road ... He was four foot tall and skinny, maybe ninety pounds ... and his egg [the UFO] was not 25 feet from us ... He [the humanoid] took four steps toward us and my hand fell on my gun, and he turned around and walked back. He was in a gray suit, and he left no prints or prints of the egg. Clint could not move either ... the thing vanished, then the egg went up in the air and turned west.”

Two months later, Clint died of an apparent heart attack. To date Jane Chapin has experienced no further encounters.

Vallee had the “sand” collected by the Chapins analyzed in a scientific laboratory. The results were puzzling to say the least. While the material was composed of substances that are found on Earth, there were several inexplicable and unusual properties.

The analysts told Vallee, “The problem with your sand is that it’s not sand. Perhaps it looks like sand to you, but it’s not alluvial sand or stream sand or beach sand or mine-tailing sand or any kind of naturally formed sand. Here is some siltstone. Here is volcanic material; here, sulfide-bearing rock; green crystals; feldspar or porcelain; pyrite cubes. No quartz and no mica. All the fragments are very angular. All the components are common, but they don’t belong together. This is a composite of rock fragments and manufactured materials. It’s as if somebody had taken minerals from very different areas and had ground them together until it looked like sand.”

Vallee offers no theory as to why the UFO deposited this material or what it means. However, he was particularly impressed by the Chapins’ story and calls it his “favorite case.”

He writes: “The Chapins, I was convinced, were not lying ... I did believe them, and I still do.”

Karnes City Uranium Mine

Late one evening in the summer of 1971, Conoco Oil Company employee Michael Harvey was working the night shift at the 85-acre open pit uranium mine located west of Karnes City, Texas. He and a half-dozen other employees were operating Caterpillar 657B earthmovers and had reached a depth of 210 feet when suddenly, says Harvey, the entire pit “lit up as if it was daylight.”

Harvey and all the other workers immediately stopped working and looked up to see a massive blinding white light directly over the mine. Says Harvey, “The light was so bright that I had to squint because it hurt my eyes. I remember hearing a high pitched hissing noise and the hair on my arms stood on end. I was so scared, I fell to the ground and started praying.”

The light was too bright to look at. The workers were frozen in fear for a few minutes until suddenly, the lights began to dim. Only then could Harvey and the other workers see the source of the light. “What I saw amazed me,” said Harvey. “The object was round and the bright light was coming from the center of the bottom of the UFO. Around the perimeter of the craft were hundreds of penlight size light beams that alternated in all colors of the spectrum.”

Harvey was struck by the beams similarity to lasers. As he and the others watched, the object rose slowly upward for about ten seconds, then darted straight up and disappeared.

Harvey and his co-workers were deeply traumatized by the incident. “I was crying and shaking,” said Harvey, “and so was everyone else.”

When the next shift of workers arrived, Harvey and the others told them what they had seen. The new shift was skeptical and ridiculed the witnesses mercilessly. “But we got the last laugh,” said Harvey. “This is how we proved it actually happened.”

Says Harvey: “There is a vein of uranium ore that runs from George, West Texas, to almost Texarkana, Texas. When determining where to place a mine, the following steps are accomplished: (1) A geologist with a Geiger-counter flies over the area and finds the highest radiation reading; (2) Drilling trucks are sent out and core samples are drilled to determine the highest concentration of uranium ore. These core samples are drilled in a grid pattern and every core sample is given a tracking number and logged in showing the concentration and amount of uranium present; (3) The open pit mine is then laid out according to these core samples.

“When this UFO incident happened, we were about two feet away from a layer of hard rock called the tap rock that laid directly on top of the uranium ore. The uranium ore varied in depth from six to 18 inches and had about the same brown color as low grade coal. Two days after this incident, the tap rock was removed to expose the uranium ore. We were astounded to find that the uranium ore was now a chalky white substance that had no radioactivity at all! There was a 250-foot diameter circle of this chalky material in the center of the pit. Outside of the circle, the uranium ore was still as potent as before the incident. Core samples don't lie. This chalky material was uranium before this incident.”

In this case, there seems to be little doubt that the mine was the target of attention. Writes Harvey, “Many a night I have laid in my bed thinking about what happened. I think the UFO needed the uranium for some reason.”


Other similar cases could be cited, but by now the mine-UFO connection should be obvious. Corroborating these reports are the scores of accounts of ETs exiting their craft with little shovels and digging small holes in the surrounding soil.

As these cases show, some UFO occupants are apparently geologists conducting mining operations. The fact that UFOs visit these locations on repeated occasions reveals not only their strong interest in mines, but also that they are actively engaged in some type of agenda that involves these mines.

Another unique feature of UFO-mine encounters are those cases involving physical evidence. While many cases rely solely on eyewitness testimony, several cases involved physical evidence that is difficult to explain by conventional means.

Take the case of amateur prospector Stephen Michalak. On May 20, 1967, Michalak was prospecting for gold in the Falcon Lake area in Manitoba, Canada, when a UFO landed next to him. He approached the object, which took off, blasting Michalak with heat and setting his shirt on fire.

Michalak immediately became ill, suffering a headache and vomiting. He went straight to the hospital where he suffered dizziness, nausea, hives, diarrhea, weakness, numbness, swelling of joins and hands, a burning sensation on his neck and chest, eye irritation and fainting. He was unable to keep any food down and over the next few weeks lost 22 pounds. His blood lymphocyte level dropped from a normal 25 to an alarming 16 percent. He was examined by more than 27 doctors, and the only diagnosis that seemed to fit was exposure to radiation.

Equally baffling were the findings at the landing site. Stewart Hunt of the Department of Health and Social Welfare investigated the area and found that it showed “significant” levels of radium 226, which could not be produced naturally.

Later Michalak returned to the site with a friend and found two strange “W-shaped” silver bars and chunks of silver exactly where the object had hovered. Researcher Brian Cannon analyzed the silver and found that the silver concentration was “much higher than normally would be found in native silver such as sterling or coinage.” Also, the metal showed signs of heating, bending and radioactivity. Finally, the sample was embedded on the outside with fine quartz crystals and small crystals of a uranium silicate material and pitchblende, feldspar, and hematite.

Not surprisingly, the case caused considerable controversy and for many years was covered up by the Canadian government. Even today, the full files on the case have not been released. Of most interest here are the strange effects on the silver ore. Once again, we have a UFO hovering over a mining area and causing unexplained changes in the ground beneath it.

Not only do these types of cases provide compelling evidence of UFO reality, they also have the potential to reveal how UFOs might use their technology to extract geological materials, and what types of materials they might be interested in. Finally, it is likely that mines are disproportionally more likely to be visited by UFOs than another mundane area. Therefore, a UFO stake-out of mines might have potential to allow for repeated predicted observations of UFOs engaged in low level activity, which would be the perfect opportunity for cutting edge live fieldwork.

Take the recent events in the Daivik Diamond Mine located in the Canadian Arctic. In September, 2012, mineworkers allegedly observed a massive lenticular-shaped object that hovered above the mine and sent down several beams of light. According to researcher Scott C. Waring, numerous employees in the mine rushed out to observe the object and the beams of light. One worker took several photographs, which appear to show a large disk-like object with multiple shafts of light emitted from the center. An analysis of the photo also shows what appear to be three additional objects. According to Waring, authorities at the mine attempted to cover-up the sighting.

Waring is skeptical that the aliens have any interest in the mine for its materials. Writes Waring, “I don't believe aliens have an interest in diamonds. However, it is possible there is another material they are interested in nearby. Also the arctic ocean area would be a great location for an underwater base entrance.”

As bizarre as this all sounds, many researchers have come to similar conclusions.

As an end-note, consider the following unsubstantiated case, which took place on August 27, 1989, in Donetsk, Ukraine, in Russia.

An electrical worker more than 350 feet below the surface within a mine saw “two strangers” standing by the electric train depot. Knowing that nobody else was supposed to be there and feeling a strange fear, the witness hid and observed the figures, watching them as they studied various types of equipment. Finally he began to walk forward, asking them, “Who are you? What are you doing here?”

The figures stopped moving and looked at him. As he approached them, the mineworker suddenly realized they were not human. According to the report on the case: “They were short creatures, dwarf-like, with sallow facial complexions, and features he could not recognize as human. Both were dressed in silvery-colored coveralls and on their chest they had lighted circles and luminous dots circling around, like the screen of an oscillograph. After standing for a while, the entities turned around and walked away, quickly moving, floating just above the ground. In several seconds they vanished behind a bend in the underground tunnel.”

Extraterrestrial miners? Stranger things have happened. END

Further Reading

Dolan, Richard M. UFOs for the 21st Century Mind. Richard Dolan Press, 2014.

Adamski, George. Inside the Spaceships. George Adamski Foundation, 1953, second edition, 1955.

Barker, Gray. They Knew Too Much About Flying Saucers. University Books, 1956.

Bowen, Charles (Editor). The Humanoids: A Survey of Worldwide Reports of Landings of Unconventional Aerial Objects and Their Occupants. Henry Regnery Company, 1969.

Taylor, Ellis. Meat and Feathers: A UFO Sighting over Paraburdoo in North-West Australia. Ellis Taylor, 2006.

Corrales, Scott. Argentina: UFO Over the Gualcamayo Mine. The Journal of Hispanic Ufology. January, 2009.

Crystall, Ellen. Silent Invasion: The Shocking Discoveries of a UFO Researcher.Paragon House, 1991.

Imbrogno, Philip J., Horrigan, Marianne. Contact of the 5th Kind. Llewellyn Publications, 1997.

Lorenzen, Jim and Coral. Idaho Mining UFOs. APRO Bulletin, Vol 22, No. 2, Sept/Oct 1973.

Vallee, Jacques. Dimensions: A Casebook of Alien Contact. Contemporary Books, Inc., 1988.

Harvey, Michael. UFO Encounter Over Texas Uranium Mine. UFO Evidence, 1971.

Good, Timothy. Above Top Secret: the Worldwide UFO Coverup. William Morrow & Company, 1989.

Waring, Scott. UFO Over Diamond Mine in Arctic. UFO Sightings Daily, 2012.

Pfeifer, Ken. Alien Encounter in a Deep Mine in Russia. World UFO Photos and News, 2012.

Preston Dennett has been investigating UFOs for nearly 30 years. He is a field investigator for the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON). He has written more than 100 articles and 15 books on the subject, and is a leading authority in the field.